g-day from australia dr bob.how do i donate?

hello dr bob i am from australia so gday mate.i just wanted to say what i strong individual you are sir after reading your story and are u one of the documented cases of occupational needlestick in the usa?just out of curiosity?.i would like to donate to your foundation and how do i?also i have a question which is probably asked a lot on this forum i had an exposure of unprotected sex 1 night stand 3 weeks ago and now i have flu symptoms(headache,sore throat,enlarged lymph nodes in throat and under arms,spots on face and neck)i havent had a fever.could you give me your thoughts on this and how long i should wait to get tested?also is general itchying all over body a symptom of ars?i havent got a rash just itching.thank you your thoughts mate it would be most appriecated.

G'day mate,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, my occupational exposure from January 1991 was documented (negative test on day of incident followed by ARS and subsequent seroconversion).

Regarding your "flu symptoms," please note the vast, vast, vast majority of flu symptoms are caused by flu, not HIV. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. Itching without a rash is not suggestive of HIV ARS. If you had a potential HIV exposure (unprotected sex qualifies!), you should get HIV tested whether or not you have any symptoms.

As for HIV diagnostic testing, the HIV-antibody test at three months (six months for a "significant" exposure) is still considered the gold standard. Folks experiencing ARS symptoms induced by HIV will often have detectable HIV RNA PCR viral loads. You can read much more about HIV diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum and elsewhere on this site.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your willingness to help others in desperate need. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV-antibody test will be negative.

Good luck. (I'll be back in the land down under in February 2011.)

Dr. Frascino is a sore like this indicitive of HIV infection?
I Need Your Karma to Help Me Go and Get Tested