Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Humans and anal sex...
Sep 14, 2010

Dear Dr Bob,

First off, thanks for your contributions to this site and I sincerely admire you as an individual. However, I feel I have to raise an important issue which, in my opinion, is overlooked on this forum, and in general when dealing with the HIV/AIDS crisis..

Let me say now that I know you will disagree with what I am about to advocate, its natural, like Turkeys voting for Christmas. However, after 25 years of promoting safe sex amongst all sexualities since the beginning of the pandemic I think it time to move direction slightly and to target those who practice anal sex. This will obviously be predominantly gay people, but is also applicable to straight couples who involve themselves.

Please tell me Doc, what is the purpose of the anus...? Is it not there as a mechanism for our body to remove what is no longer required...? Is it there so that other males can insert their erect penis for sexual pleasure...? Is there not a reason why those that practice this activity are significantly more at risk than those that adhere to standard practice....? Is there not a reason why gay people(certainly in the UK at least) have a higher rate of infection than their heterosexual counterparts despite being vastly outnumbered....? Is there not a reason, after god knows how many million years of evolution the anus still tears far easier than the Vagina...?

The answer to all of these questions...? IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE PENETRATED!!! It is there to serve a purpose - not for sexual gratification. If your ear was a couple of inches deeper and a couple of centimetres wider would you guys be putting it in there as well....?

In all seriousness, whilst I admire the work that is done on this site and the thankless, endless task of trying to educate layman all over the world, the message has to change. As you have stated in the past, 15,000 people a day are infected around the world. From what I read, a significant proportion of newly infected acquire the disease from anal interaction.

C'mon Dr Bob, you are a highly intelligent, logical guy. Its time that the message from popular HIV/Aids charities and trusts should be one advising against Anal sex...

Instead of demonising the virus like we did in the 1980's, I think it would be of considerable benefit worldwide if this particular activity was demonised instead. In truth, I cannot see any other way to halt the spread of this thing.

Stay well Dr Bob,

Neil, UK

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Neil,

You are correct! I do absolutely disagree with you and that is the only thing correct about your rant!!! I'll make only several brief comments:

1. Using your logic, the mouth should be off limits as well. That means no more blowjobs, gay or straight! After all the mouth "is there to serve a purpose -- not for sexual gratification" -- right???

2. As for "is there not a reason, after god knows how many million years of evolution the anus still tears far easier than the vagina?" Dude, the reason is quite simple: an anus is not a vagina! Your logic is equivalent to asking why after all these years porcupines don't shit goat cheese.

3. As for "from what I read, a significant proportion of newly infected acquire the disease from anal interaction," worldwide the most common mode of HIV transmission is unprotected heterosexual sex. Yep! Penile-vaginal nookie! Would you be in favor of demonizing that activity due to these statistics? Think about it Neil. Your logic is shockingly naive and your comments offensive.

Dr. Bob

Previous
ARE YOU REFRESHED?? Can I have your thoughts on results?
Next
HIV from oral?? NO WOO-HOO!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.