Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tonsil Infection for 6 months! ARS the catalyst? ( ready to donate )
Sep 13, 2010

Hiya Doc,

Very, very concerned right now.... In March, 3 weeks after possible vaginal sex exposure, I came down with a very swollen tonsil on my right side and a fever for couple days. The sore, swollen tonsil never totally went away and has been bothering me ever since. About a week ago, it started to really flare up again and I knew something was wrong. I went to the ENT and she said I had "sick" breath from my tonsil and she said something was creating pits in my tonsil. So, she prescribed me a 10 day course of Augmentin.

But, after my 2nd day of taking it, I formed what looks and feels like a canker sore on my tonsil!! It is huge and painful... It feels like the Augmentin might be helping with the swelling but I worried sick, that this is all HIV releated.

Could this have all started with ARS back in March?

Is a sore throat on one side ARS?

What could cause this continuous sore tonsil?

Thanks Dr. Bob!

Please help Dr. Bob. I am ready to donate and very much respect your opinion.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your recent tonsil infection is not consistent with HIV ARS. As for the cause, it's most likely a bacterial or viral (non-HIV) infection. If it's responding to Augmentin, it's bacterial. Regarding the cause of tonsillitis, there are many potential contributing factors. The bottom line is that if the tonsil becomes chronically infected and if it doesn't respond dramatically to antibiotics, the tonsils may need to be surgically removed. I would recommend you follow up with your ENT physician.

As for your "possible vaginal sex exposure," if you placed your self at risk for HIV, you should get an HIV test at the three-month mark, whether or not you have any symptoms.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hanging by a thread - Mentally exhausted
Next
Prednisone effect

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.