Occupational Question

Dr. Bob,

I know that HIV is a virus and I have a question about the virus itself. I work at a clinic. Lets say that somebody who is HIV+ turned out my lights and got some fluid on the light switch containing HIV+ virus. So right after they touched the light switch, like 5 seconds after they touched the switch and before I touched the light switch, I sprayed sanitizer on it and I felt back splash from the light switch when the sanitizer hit it. Because Sanitizer is in a pump spray bottle. So when I sprayed I felt the wetness hit me. I have a fresh paper cut on my hand that the back splash was hitting. What are my chances of catching HIV from this?

Concerned, Linda

Hello Linda,

You spray liquid sanitizer on light switches? Hmm. That doesn't sound like such a good idea, considering electricity and liquids can cause problems. As for your HIV concern: no risk.

Waz aappppp
Trust the tests (16 of them) or the symptoms?