Swallowing

I was reading some of the questions on this site concerning HIV and swallowing, I'm exclusive with this guy and he wants me to swallow, he says he's negative but you know, how you're supposed to assume everyone's positive, so he really wants to "come down my throat"(his words) so if he did come down my throat without his semen touching my mouth at all, if he positioned his penis all the way down my throat and then come, would I be in risk of contracting HIV or not since he would be ejaculating "directly" in my stomach? It means a lot to him to be able to do that.

There is no new information regarding the spit or swallow debate (see below). However, I should point out that even if you don't have a gag reflex and can accommodate your boyfriend's big bopper "all the way down (your) throat," he would not be "ejaculating directly into (your) stomach!" He would spunk your posterior pharynx and then the high-protein snack would have to travel all the way down the esophagus before it reached the stomach (and stomach acids). The back of the throat is where the tonsils are located, which are lymph glands, a primary target of HIV.

Even though it may "mean a lot" to your Mr. Hunky McSpunky mate, only you can decide if you are willing to take the risk.

spit or swallow which is safer ? (SPIT OR SWALLOW, 2010) Jun 30, 2010

what is safer to spit or to swallow ? is it safe to spit ? can you still get an std from if you spit cum out ?

See below. The information you desire was already waiting for you in the archives!

swallow or spit (SPIT OR SWALLOW, 2009) Oct 28, 2009

hi,

is it safe to swallow the cum from a guy? some says its okay but I want to be assured

It's been a while since a "spit or swallow" question has popped up on the forum. It used to be much more common! I have nothing new to add to my previous comments. See below.

Spit or Swallow....Can this really be true Nov 14, 2007

I attend an HIV Support group. We were talking about this, so I wanted to know what is fact and what is not fact. Someone mentioned that it is safer for someone to swallow rather then spit it out (I think you know I am referring to cummings). He stated that since our stomach would kill any virus it would be safer that having it in our mouth and spitting it out. I guess this would also go along that old pharse "What is the Difference between like and love - Spit or Swallow". Whould this go along those same lines. "Safe or Unsafe - Spit or Swallow"

Is it true that swallowing is safer then spitting?????

I one 1 Year Old HIV + guy in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles, CA)

I don't really have any new information to add since the last time I addressed this topic. Consequently I'll just reprint some information from the archives. The reason we can't definitively answer this question is that it would be impossible and perhaps unethical to conduct a clinical trial to obtain such a definitive answer.

forced to swallow Mar 16, 2007

hi,

i performed oral on a guy i met on the internet. he said he was hiv-. i told him to let me know when he was going to cum so he wouldnt cum in my mouth. instead he came in my mouth and i couldnt pull away because he held the back of my head. i ended up swallow half of it before i spit out the rest. he said if i was worried about hiv i should have swallowed all of it because its safer. not sure why that is. assuming he was hiv+, is it harder to get hiv if i swallow or spit it out? thanks dr. bob for helping everyone out here.

You told the dude not to cum in your mouth and yet he held the back of your head while you gagged on his tallywhacker and spunked down your throat??? Nice guy. Bet he doesn't get many second dates.

The spit or swallow controversy has yet to be definitively settled. As Samantha on Sex in the City said when being questioned on the topic, "I only swallow when surprised." Gosh, whatever happened to the full-throated yelps of "Oh God, Oh God, Ohhhhhh God, I'm gonna shoot, I'm gonna shoot, Oh God I'm gonna . . . Ahhhhhhhhh . . . ." Everyone should give at least that well recognized warning that "something's coming!" I'll reprint a post from the archives that addresses your spit/swallow dilemma.

Be well.

Oral Sex with HIV+ & Swallowing Mar 11, 2007

Dear Dr.

I just came across yuor website and found it very informative as well as at times amusing; not that I'm making fun of any situation, but you gotta admit it: "eyelashes enlargement" being a sign of HIV is a stretch.

Anyway, I'm reaching out to you because I'm HIV+ with undetectable viral load and my boyfriend is HIV-. Last week accidentally, he swallowed some of my cum. Now I'm being the paranoid freak only because I love him and care for him so much...

What are your thoughts, should we be concerned at all?

You are a very inspiring professionsl - great work!

Thanks. B

Should you be concerned? Well, are his eyelashes enlarging?

Relax, Max. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. The question about spit or swallow really hasn't been fully answered. There are components in saliva that deactivate the virus and stomach acids would certainly destroy any virus that landed there. See post from archives below. If you and/or your partner are concerned, a screening HIV rapid test at the three-month mark would put those fears permanently to rest, OK?

Different Aussie with Concerns Jan 24, 2004

Hi, While I was in Sydney over Christmas - I visited a restroom and gave oral sex to a man who came in my mouth. I spat most of it out but swallowed an ammount (not much). I understand that unprotected oral sex is not safe sex (though considered lower risk); my question is the old spit or swallow one - which is the most advisable in that situation. Since returning home to Brisbane - i have experienced 2 blisters on the roof of my mouth - How concerned should I be? Is this a sign of something? Or a reaction between my medication...as

I also have BiPolar Affective Disorder with Psychotic features - i'm on Lithium, Effexor, Avanza and Seroquel. Quite worried SGP

Hello SGP,

So you went down in the land down under? The spit or swallow controversy continues. Oral sex in general, as you point out, carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. The risk for other STD's is higher. Regarding HIV, the insertive partner has less risk than a receptive partner (oral, vaginal, or anal). Not getting spunked (no ejaculation) is, in general, also considered less risky. However, once you've got a mouthful of liquid protein, perhaps the best advice is to get rid of it either by spitting it out or swallowing it quickly. Is one method safer than the other? Most guides would recommend spitting over swallowing, but we really don't know for sure. Stomach acids would certainly quickly kill the virus very quickly. Theoretically, you don't want infected spunk to be in contact with mucous membranes (like the inside of your mouth and throat) for very long. Minimizing this contact decreases the risk that HIV will be absorbed. So spit when you can, swallow quickly when you must, and do not use someone's jiz as a trendy new mouthwash to gargle with, even if you do like the taste better than Listerine.

On nPep for possible exposure: is this treatment necessary?
HIV Testing