Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

You are the only person I can turn to; please respond.
Sep 12, 2010

I have emailed several times about the ability of HIV to leave a non-bleeding open cut.

I have found much information in the archives about it entering the body through a non bleeding open cut, but never leaving. I recently took a friend to a party hosted by another friend who is HIV+. At the party the host was plating cake and was using his index finger to balance the cake from the serving dish to the plate. After plating the cake he rinsed off his finger and mentioned that the frosting burned his finger because he had cut it the day before. He quickly indicated that the cut was 24 hours old and not bleeding. I did not see any blood either, but it looked red and wide open possibly even watery. Now my friend who I brought to the party bit the inside of his lip and it bled a bit about 15-10 minutes before he ate the cake that made direct contact with the hosts cut. My questions are: 1) If a cut is not actively bleeding, but open and watery could it still transmit HIV? 2) I know the archives say it cannot be transimitted through food due to drying that occurs outside of the body. What if it was transmitted to something wet or moist like frosting? Might it live longer than a few minutes? 3) Do you think there is a risk of transmission here? Please advise. I cannot sleep knowing about this possible exposure. I dont want to alarm anyone yet I dont want to not say anything is I should. You are the only one I can talk to about this. I WILL donate. Kindly respond.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. The chances of this happening are a quantum leap beyond extremely remote.

2. No.

3. No, absolutely not. If HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the entire planet long ago.

Stop worrying about this non-risk! Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Dr. Bob

Previous
Infected after 'protected' hand-job & boob-job. I challenge you dr.bob, testing after window period will prove you are wrong!(YET ANOTHER IM POSITIVE IM POSITIVE WHO HASNT TESTED POSITIVE, 2010)
Next
Thank you for your donation card . Just a few more questions please. I think my question could help others

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.