HIV 2 pregnancy

Hi Dr. I learned of my infection in 2008 told was HIV1+ have had cd4 900-1200 ever since undet. VL got pregnant in January thinking am an elite controller. My dr. asked me to have WB in May came positive for HIV2 and Neg for 1; a)Is there any chance this is a false positive ? b)I plan to have CS and am not on ARV do I need to be on drugs my CD4/8 has been 1.7 -1.9 do I need ARVs with these results? c) doeas my baby need ARVs after birth ? d) One specialist asked me to take DNA PCR for HIV 2 to confirm infection however not available in E.Africa and just confused why he would ask for PCR does it mean WB could be false? Help

Something is not adding up here. You were diagnosed with HIV-1 in 2008 with a normal CD4 count and undetectable viral load. Subsequently you became pregnant and a Western Blot revealed you were negative for HIV-1 but reactive for HIV-2? None of this makes much sense. Your first step is to see a knowledgeable HIV specialist to ascertain if you even have HIV disease, and if so, what type. Once you have that information, write back and I'll be happy to address your other questions.

Regarding Western Blot (WB) tests, they should only be run as a confirmatory test after a positive ELISA, EIA or rapid test is obtained. If your doctor ran the WB test without a positive preliminary screening test, the WB could indeed be a false-positive.

What is the Reliability of neg Hiv test at 8 weeks?
HIV and Air Donating where answered or not