Trans-mistake NZ

Dr. Bob, You're a legend! Kudos for the great work that you do. I live in New Zealand. A couple of nights ago I had unprotective, insertive anal sex with a pre-op transexual (male) of unknown status. I'm horrifed about potentially having contracted the HIV+/ AIDS virus. I am uncircumcised, although I did not ejaculate inside him but I could smell faeces upon exit. I'd said I wanted to wear a condom but (s)he used a lot of lube instead and said (s)he wanted to "feel me inside"... Really, really stupid of me I know. (S)he also perform unprotected oral sex on me. I've scheduled a STD check-up tomorrow and have been advised to schedule an HIV+ test in 6 weeks and then 3 months. What else should I do during this anxious "window" period? Would you recommend I start on a course of PEPs? I don't know if they are prescribed or even available here but I think I should take them. Please help. God Bless

G'day Anxious Kiwi,

"Unprotected, insertive anal sex with a pre-op transexual (male) of unknown status" who didn't want to use condoms?!?! Hmm. "Really, really stupid . . . ." I must agree! But don't be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes and it's a well-known fact that the higher powers gave man both a brain and a tallywhacker, but only enough blood to run one at a time. The important thing is to learn from this lapse in judgment!

An STD check now and HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark are definitely warranted. PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is no longer an option for you. PEP should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an HIV exposure. Your tranny adventure was "a couple of nights ago." So at this point there is nothing else to do except wait. I'd suggest you use the time to read through the wealth of information on this site and in the archives. It will help reinforce your resolve never to put yourself at such risk again. Also you might consider volunteering some of your time at an AIDS hospice. Helping those in desperate need is an effective way to keep our own problems in perspective. Plus, you'll rack up some excellent cosmic karma.

Good luck NZ guy. I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test is negative. Write back and let us know. We'll keep fingers crossed, toes crossed . . . and even eyes crossed?

Finally, as for being a legend, nah, I'm just your average run-of-the-mill virally enhanced cyber-sexpert disseminating to the cyber-universe wit and wisdom on humankind's favorite pastime: sex!

A big thank you, conclusiveness of test and good vibes from South Africa!
19 year old feeling very alone in rural Africa