Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

$100 actual donation! Mother to be in crisis!
Aug 17, 2010

I have suffered from OCD all my life, now that I'm pregnant it's more severe. I know that's common in OCD patients. Anyways, I have an incident I'd like you to respond to if you can, I'm putting my baby into a possible unnecessary stress :)

- I went to a shark aquarium in Vegas, and went to the sting ray exhibit. This friend-of-a-friend that was there with us is HIV+, and he dipped his hands into the water where the sting rays are (it's allowed there). As he brought his hands out of the water, he shook them to get dry and splashed my whole legs and arms with water. Now I worry if he had a cut on his hands that were bleeding, and if I had a cut from shaving on my arms or legs, or any sort of scratch or acne, if it could splash right into my cuts or scratches. If in fact he was bleeding.

I am donating $100 tomorrow through check. I really really need your help. I don't want to put my baby in anymore stress.

Thank you, Sarah

"$100 actual donation, mother to be" Cont. Additional donation (Submitted Aug 16, 2010)

Sorry I'm the one who wrote about the incident at the shark aquarium.... I forgot to add, if the water the HIV+ man had splashed at me and had a bleeding cut and if it went into my eye, would it transmit HIV? I don't remember if it did, but just to cover all the bases. Thank you!

Additional donation added!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sarah,

The HIV-acquisition risk from the episode you describe is completely nonexistent. That's correct: the odds you could contract HIV that way are exactly zero, zip, nada! I agree your OCD, not HIV, is the problem. I would advise you talk to your doctor about your OCD and irrational HIV fears. Counseling (psychotherapy) may well help you confront and conquer these unwarranted worries.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's urgently needed and warmly appreciated.

Best of luck with your upcoming new addition.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Truly sorry for the continuous hounding...but still worried : (
Next
Donation guaranteed. Need to hear from you ASAP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.