Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE PLEASE answer Dr. Bob. I will donate again
Aug 16, 2010

I have asked prior but would like to clarify. I am having persistent thrush, peripheral neuropathy, muscle twitches, unexplained weight loss, lots of new floaters. I have had some exposures with asian women here in the US over the past few years. My most recent exposure was late September 2009. I have had multiple negative oraquick rapid out to 40 weeks. A 3,5,7,8,9 month EIA by QUEST. A 4,6,10 month negative ICMA by Labcorp. Also had negative HIV-1 pcr/DNA at 6 weeks and 6 months. A negative HIV-1 pcr RNA at 8 1/2 months. 1) with lingering symptoms and a rash I got at 7 months on back that lasted a few weeks, would you still be suspicious of HIV? 2) could the tests I have had miss an odd strain/subtype/crf/group/HIV-2? 3) could I be further into the disease and tests not picking it up and missing it? 4)What more can I do rule out the possibility of HIV? 5) would a western blot as a stand alone test be a bad idea? Please please give me your professional advice. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

No matter how many times you ask, I'm not going to change my assessment or advice.

1. No.

2. No (none that we can currently test for!).

3. No, you would be much sicker.

4. You already have "ruled it out" many times over!

5. Yes, a very bad idea.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob, when can I be sure I am safe? Aug 6, 2010

Doctor, thank you so much for your time. If I need to donate again I will be happy to do so. Again, story is: getting oral and fingered by an Asian females over the past few years. Last exposure end of September 2009. Negative PCR DNA at 6 week and 6 months. Negative PCR RNA at 9 months. Negative HIV antibody testing at 3,4,5,7,9,10 months. Everything has been negative. All of my lab testing was done by QUEST/Labcorp through online STD testing companies. Latest tests were 40 week negative rapid, 42 week Neg EIA, 44 week negative ICMA. 1) are these tests CONCLUSIVE? 2) should I have any reason to doubt validity of results due to online companies? 3) since these tests were done in US, would it pick up any rare strain/subtype/group/CRF? 4)would these tests (antibody/PCR/DNA) miss these strains since they concentrate on group M? Is there any other test that I need to put my fears to rest? THANK YOU so much if I am fortunate enough for your reply. Take care.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Yes.

2. Nope.

3. There is no reasons to worry about extremely rare strains/subtypes/CRFs.

4. No. No.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Unprotected oral sex question will donate $80 dollars to your foundation
Next
Not your typical crabs.NEVER, EVER, EVER BEEN ASKED! Donation that will be true!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.