Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

From Positive to Negative. 2.
Aug 15, 2010

Hi Dr Robert. You replied to my message about my friend who has gone from a positive to negative result. (May 24, 2010). The question was about whether you'd consider his anti-body therapy for cancer to have interfered with the results causing the intial positive. Well after his three re-tests, all have come back negative.

So whether the first test was human error or as a result of the anti-body therapy, I couldn't tell you as the doctors themselves are unsure.

Either way it's a huge relief for him.

I want to thank you for your initial response and advice. What you do for people on here is amazing.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Excellent news! Please congratulate your friend for me. Thanks for your thanks and for taking the time to write back with the follow-up report.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

From Positive to Negative May 24, 2010

Hello, My friend tested positive for HIV with the Elisa and WB. After a traumatic 5 months he got retested and the tests came back negative. He has been told to wait another month for another test. His initial test was taken shortly after Monoclonal antibody therapy for non Hodgkins lymphoma, and he is also a type 1 diabetic (are these the reasons for the false positive? We don't know).

Short of waiting for the 3rd results, can you offer any info as to why he would test positive initially? And is it now possible (from your experience) to get a positive again after a negative?

Thankyou if you can offer some advice (i've seen two counsellors and neither can).

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

There are two possibilities. Either the initial positive HIV test was a "false positive" or the recent negative HIV test was a "false negative" test. False-positive HIV tests are more common than false-negative tests. That your buddy had recent monoclonal antibody therapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma could potentially account for his "positive" HIV-antibody test.

Rather than wait another month, I'd suggest your buddy get a qualitative HIV PCR DNA test or the APTIMA HIV PCR RNA test. These tests do not rely on anti-HIV antibodies, but rather assay directly for a piece of the virus's genetic material. If he has an "undetectable" PCR, he can rest assured his initial test was a false positive. (I believe this to most likely be the case and that your buddy is HIV negative. Write back to the forum and let us know the outcome.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hello Again Dr. Bob, It is your Italian Friend :0)
Next
Unprotected oral sex question will donate $80 dollars to your foundation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.