Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello Again Dr. Bob, It is your Italian Friend :0)
Aug 15, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob,

I know I have written to this forum on numerous occasions. But, I need your help with this. I live in Broward County Florida which has been hit really hard by HIV/AIDS. Since my previous worries, I have been trying to educate my friends and family and have been very frustrated. They seem to still think it exists only in the "Gay Community."(which is not nice in my opinion). I try to explain that the virus is equal opportunity and the infection rates among women are on the rise. Isn't that true? I get so many arguments and I am trying to help this one girl I work with. She is only 18! Her boyfriend is on this wild trip in Ibiza and I tell her "please make him wear a condom when he returns. No glove no love." She thinks she doesn't have to worry since her boyfriend is strait and he "promised" to remain faithful. I told her that you can never be sure and it is not worth it to risk your entire life over a "boyfriend" and that HIV is equal opportunity virus. Can you please explain that it is not just a virus that affects the Gay Community so I can show it to my friends and family? I appreciate it! I feel like in Broward the virus is spreading like crazy because people are so uneducated yet here. Also, I have not forgotten my promise to donate. My husband and I just bought a house and with the economy it has been really hard, but your charity is the first one I will donate to. Anyway I can help I will.

P.S. I never got a Whoo Hoo from you for my negative test 4 year at Out of the Closet. I know you will say it is great, but just need your Whoo Hoo! It makes me happy. :0)

I appreciate your help in helping me educate some of these people who don't know enough about HIV.

Love Always,

Italian Girl (formerly Depressed Italian Girl)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Buon giorno ragazza,

First off, WOO-HOO! (Or in Italian OPLA!) Due to the truly astounding volume of questions that cram their way into my inbox on a continual basis from around the cyber-universe, it's become impossible for me to personally confirm each WOO-HOO. There are just far too many of them!

Regarding your concerns about folks not believing (or not wanting to believe) HIV prevention information, this is becoming an increasingly severe problem often with catastrophic consequences. Every 9.5 minutes another person in the US becomes infected with the virus. Yes, infection rates among sexually active young women are indeed on the rise! I would suggest you print out and use the information on this site to help educate your friends. Check out the chapter entitled "HIV Prevention: The Basics." There you'll find a variety of articles and links that should be helpful.

Ciao!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Risk of HIV from spouse
Next
From Positive to Negative. 2.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.