Risk of HIV from spouse

I recently found out my husband is HIV+. We do not have an active sex life & it is likely we have only had sex 2-3 times in the past 1 1/2 years. I know it only takes one time, but is there some statistic? Is it 100% that I have it? Is it possible to not become HIV+?

Yes, it is possible you were exposed to HIV but did not contract it! The CDC's estimated per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive penile vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be infected is 1 per 1,000 exposures! That said, you are also correct: it is indeed possible to contract HIV with a single exposure, just as it's possible to win the lottery with the purchase of only one ticket.

To ascertain if you've acquired the virus, you'll need an HIV test six months or more after your last exposure (unprotected sex).

You can read much more about HIV diagnostic tests, magnetic couples, HIV-transmissions statistics and other related topics in the archives of this forum. Have a look!

Anal pap smear protocol
Hello Again Dr. Bob, It is your Italian Friend :0)