The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PCR test

Aug 15, 2010

Hi, i had sex with a prostitute last week and after 2 days i have taken PCR Test the result shows positive, latter again after 5 days i went to a hospital and took HIV 1 and HIV 2 tests here the result shows Non- Reactive, so doctor told that i am not infected, could please let me know which is accurate and tell me if i am safe

Response from Dr. Frascino


You ask: ". . . Could you please let me now which is accurate . . . ." The answer is neither!

PCR testing is generally not recommended for HIV diagnostic testing due to the rate of false positives, other technical considerations and cost. The accuracy of any type of HIV test taken at day two is unreliable.

HIV-antibody tests (HIV-1 and HIV-2) taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. Your negative results from tests taken within days of your potential exposure are not reliable. The doctor who informed you that you are not infected based on this test did so in error. There is no way of determining if you have contracted the virus or not at this point.

I would recommend you get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. In addition use latex condoms for all penetrative sex. You can read much more about HIV diagnostic tests, HIV-transmission and other related topics in the archives of this forum. Have a look!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Oral Sex Question
Cant see any other reason.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint