I'll donate my life for your response. I'm lost without you. I'm reaching out for help.

Hello doctor, you are an amazing man and I feel so bad that you have to read all of our terrified emails :(

I suffer from OCD about HIV and it's becoming out of control now. I now look at my own mother and worry that she has HIV.

I was in the shower and went to reach for my face wash, but instead got scratch by my moms razor. It left a mark but I didn't see any blood from my hand. Just a red scratch a little puffy. I looked at my moms razor and didn't see like oozing blood from the razor but a few spots from maybe dried blood.

She used that razor 2 or 3 hours before I got scratched. "If" she has HIV and cut herself and bled on the razor, then 2 to 3 hours later I scratch myself and had the razor puncture my skin with "maybe" a small amount of blood...could this infect me?

Why do they say razors are a risk for HIV transmission if blood away from the host inactivates? Do they mean not to use the razor directly after someone with HIV; like back and forth type thing? Or does HIV blood live longer on razors?

I will donate generously to your cause (as generous as my means are) I really am lost and need your advice. I don't even want to wake up in the morning because I'm paralyzed in fear.

Sincerely Worried, Sarina

Hello Sarina,

Your OCD is OOC (out of control). Your fears are completely irrational. Your hypothetical situation of "what ifs" is extremely farfetched. Even if all your "ifs" were true, the HIV-transmission risk would still be nonexistent. But you knew that already, didn't you? Of course you did. I'd recommend you consult a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you confront and conquer your totally unwarranted and completely irrational fears.

As for razors, for general health reasons it's a good idea not to share. HIV transmission is theoretically possible from a razor. If fresh HIV-tainted blood is on a razor and someone else uses it immediately, transmission could occur through a razor cut (blood to blood transmission).

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well.

Never been asked about oral. $40 Donation
24 HIV test alll negative