Hair Salon risks?! This is the latest and correct email.

Dr Bob,

First of all can I say I think you are an amazing guy the way you give help to others. Sorry to have written a few times but this email is the exact correct one. I wanted to make sure I got everything right.

I think I may have HIV phobia OCD and OCD?

Everyday I seem to have on average a 1-3 risks of catching HIV even though I do not have sex at all and do not do drugs. These are things like touching things, cups, handshakes, toilet seats, plus LOADS more. It has totally taken over my life. I have lost my job, my friends and my social life. If I see someone with a non bleeding cut preparing my food I have to throw it away. It it truley awful living with this. This is the first time I have told ANYONE of my fear which I have had for 2 years now and that has gotten worse and worse. It started with having unprotected sex with someone with unknown HIV status (which my test came back negative after 3 months) so I decided to then not have any sex anymore then I would never have to worry about HIV anymore. Did that work!! NOOOOO...it just started with other things. I have began counselling therapy but I have not yet been able to actually 'say' 'HIV' yet. My therapist is trying to get me to say what it is I am afraid of.

Please Dr Bob reguarding my latest incident if you could give me a 'Non-existent' to my latest incident it would breathe life back into me. You I know I can trust. I was at the hairdressers and my hairdresser touched a pimple with her finger for about 5 seconds, my pimple was not oozing out blood that I could see but was tender and open I think and stung when I put lemon juice on it later. The pimple was on my forehead underneath my hairline and about 3mm by 3mm, I pretty sure it was a pimple not a cut as it was round. It was maybe a few hours old, I must have picked at the pimple as it was open and raw I think but it was not bleeding though. Then the outside of the back of the scissors towards the top end (ie the pointy bit) gently rubbed across it, it did not stab it or poke it, just the outside of the scissors gently lay on the pimple for about 5 seconds aswell. I saw no blood on my forehead where her fingers touched me was or where the outside of the scissors were on me. I didn't notice any blood or cuts on the hairdressers finger or on the scissors either but I didn't look specifically though. Also when they went to wash my hair in the sink I noticed spots of red on the back of the sink. I paniced and asked the hairdresser what that was and she said 'Ohh its just dye'. But I am stressing out that it was blood and somehow it splashed into my ear or my pimple or my nose when they were washing my hair or maybe touched the hairdressers fingers and she then rubbed into my hair??!

You are an expert!! I know that if you say my hairdressing incidents that I just described with the finger, the outside of the scissors and the possible blood on the back of the sink was non existent I can get on with my life enough to move forward with my OCD.

Thank you Doctor Bob and I am hoping that you do awnser my question I would be sooooo grateful words couldn't express how much.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Regarding your three "hairdressing incidents":

Nonexistent.

Nonexistent.

Nonexistent.

Matt, continue with your psychotherapy. It's most definitely needed, as your OCD is OOC (out of control). Since you are having difficulty opening up to your therapist about your HIV fears, why not just bring a copy of this post and my response. It may well help to focus your treatment and speed your recovery.

Good luck Matt.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF GETTING INFECTED THROUGH CONTACT WITH FECES?
Grazie Dottor Bob!