The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

$50 DONATION FOR FLYING BUG IN EYE... Never quite been asked

Aug 10, 2010

Ok ok I know the QTND but I had some insect (don't know what it was) fly in my eye. Are there ANY flying insects that can trasmit HIV if they just bit an HIV+ person and had that persons blood still on them? I worry because my neighbor is HIV+, WHAT IF THE BUG BIT HIM THEN FLEW IN MY EYE?? It was my right eye and I felt the flutter and pick of the bug then I swatted it away. If a mosquito or any of bug flew in my eye containing HIV infected blood, could this infect me? Why or why not?

$50 "flying" your way :)

Response from Dr. Frascino


So you think a mosquito or other flying bloodsucking creature drained some HIV-tainted blood from your positively charged neighbor and then immediately winged his way to your place and flew into your eyeball. Do I have that right??? Would you care to guess what the odds of that actually happening would be? Probably about the same as Rush Limbaugh having sex with Obama. Even if your wacky hypothetical scenario actually occurred, your HIV-acquisition risk would be nonexistent. That's right: zero, zip, nada, bupkis!!! Why couldn't this happen? Because mosquitoes and other flying bloodsuckers do not transmit HIV! Ever! Period. End of story.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation ( Now stop worrying, OK?

Dr. Bob

Il piu' simpatico dottore del mondo
PLEASE IGNORE "No pressure Dr. Bob" question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint