Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

positive for MAC , am i HIV+?, please dr this time!
Aug 10, 2010

Hello Dr I have been diagnosed with Mac lung disease after 6 months of symptoms undiagnosed.I also have been concerned about an exposure to hiv about 6 wks prior to mac symptoms developing. hiv tests have been negative out to 6 mths and my physician is not recommending any other tests that detect virus , rather than antibody tests. It is strange that i would acquire this disease so soon after an exposure and i at least would like to be confident that the hiv testing i have done is conclusive. It is all very coincidental but the other thing is if i had hiv would it be possible that my immune system would drop down so quickly to allow a mac infection to take hold.my only guess is major stress at the time may have lowered my immune system to the point of mac taking hold. Is this possible ?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by being diagnosed with MAC lung disease. However, what is very clear is that whatever is going on in your lungs has nothing to do with HIV/AIDS. Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive and conclusive. I agree with your doctor: No further HIV tests are warranted. It's also worth noting that HIV-related MAC is a late-stage opportunistic illness occurring many years after primary HIV infection.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Infected after protected hand & boob-job!
Next
Il piu' simpatico dottore del mondo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.