your info can save the life of this polish boy:(

Doc,befor i will start,i want to say thank you for you time and good information,you ae a Good man. my name is jan originally from poland but live in austria. Doc,i am confused but my doctor said that i am ok that i dont need another hiv test.so my point is this.i had unprotected sex with a csw,and i was infected with gonorrhea from her,so i went to hospital and i was treated for that and went for many test,i am now 100% free from gonorrhea.so my doctor said i should come back for hiv test in 8 weeks time after the exposure,but i went at the 9 weeks with the latest hiv test that last only for 1 day and you get the result,and it was nagetive with other std.and my doctor told me that all is well since i countract gonorrhea,if i had hiv,it would have shown after 6 weeks for sure.but i still cant sleep becaue,3 weeks after the exposure,i started having some dry throat,discomfort of the neck,i gues it was lym node swollen in ym neck,first time my doctor said is not swollen,but i never noticed something like that befor,does it mean that some people have some of this in their neck always?and i also believe that anxiety has gotten the best part of me. is tonsil swelling signs of hiv?sometimes i feel it,and sometimes i put my hand inside my throat and i can feel it,but it doesn't really hurt me,but i can feel it when i drink coffee or when the weather is too hot,and i do have this internal hot that comes and go,it last maybe 5 seconds and then it go,it happens often,what could this be,is it hiv ?but i have it even befor the test. my fear is that,is possible that i have all this smyptoms for over a month and i went to test and it showed nagetive? well,i will try and do my last test at 3 months mark which is next 3 weeks. Thanks Doc and hope to read from you

yours friends, Jan.

Hi Jan,

Unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Some STDs, like gonorrhea, are much more easily contracted than others, including HIV.

As for HIV-antibody tests, tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive. It is true that the vast majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following HIV primary infection. However, some HIVers take a bit longer for their immune systems to kick in and produce the antibodies. Hence, the three-month mark was set so that these individuals would not be missed. I agree with your plan to get a three-month test.

Regarding lymph glands (including tonsils), they are scattered throughout the body and are perfectly normal. They tend to swell up to try to fight infection. If your doctor checked your nodes and advised they are not swollen, you can rest assured they are normal.

Good luck on your three-month definitive HIV test. The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this lapse in judgment. I'm also hopeful this entire anxiety-provoking experience has taught you that unprotected sex is not worth the potential catastrophic consequences.

Good luck. Be well.

Risk or just nerves?
-Revized; sorry blackberry sucks-Saved up 1 month to donate, just need your advice too :)