Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk or just nerves?
Aug 8, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

About over an hour ago I got semen in my eye (definetely, without any doubt, although in very little quantity) from an unknown guy who told me that he got a negative HIV test this past July (I know to take those statements from strangers with a grain of salt, though...).

I tried not to rub my eye but it still got irritated. I have read some of your answers below on the subject and got somewhat reassured by the low risk but nevertheless I am very worried, particularly since I painstakingly protect myself when engaging in sexual activity.

I am on vacation in Buenos Aires and I dont know what to do, as to whether go to a hospital emergency room to get PEP. I dont even know what protocols they use here for PEP.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. I admire your work and devotion to helping others enormously and wish there were more saints like you around.

Best regards from Nervous in B.A.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Nervous in B.A.,

Vacation in Buenos Aires??? Hmm. I think your situation requires immediate attention so I'm hopping on the next flight out to make a house call. I love Buenos Aires and my tango is getting a bit rusty, so I could evaluate your spunked-up eye and take a few tango lessons as well. OK?

Kidding aside, your HIV-acquisition risk from getting "a very little quantity" of spunk from a dude of unknown HIV status in your eye is exceedingly low. PEP, although available in B.A., would not be warranted. If you're worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds are a quantum leap beyond astronomical that you did not contract HIV from the hotshot's hot shot. But just in case you do want that home (or hotel) visit while in Argentina, just let me know!

Be well. Enjoy your vacation without worry!

Dr. Bob

Previous
High Heel Crisis! No where in archives. Plus humble donation.
Next
your info can save the life of this polish boy:(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.