Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2nd Try at Getting An Answer: Please Help me!
Aug 6, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

Please help me, I have OCD and have been very worried! I'm a gay guy who twice fooled around with a guy whose HIV status is unknown to me. He gave me a handjob, and then proceeded to rub my butthole a bit through my boxers. My fear is that he may have had some of his precum on his hands. Since I was wearing boxers, he wasn't able to insert his fingers far (if at all - it was a few months ago, and I don't remember if he just touched the outside of my hole). I understand that this is low-risk, but I read there was a new study in the journal PLoS Pathogens suggesting that HIV could be transmitted through mucous membranes, even without any tears (cf. http://www.aidsbeacon.com/news/2010/05/04/study-finds-that-hiv-breaks-mucosal-barriers-during-transmission/).

Also, I have what might be genital warts (the doctor wasn't sure, and suggested I wait to see if they spread or grow to confirm). On another occasion with the same guy as above, I masturbated and may have had his precum and/or semen on my hand (I jerked him off through his shorts first, and while I don't think he came, I don't know for sure). If I have warts, they're on my penis shaft, are untreated, and weren't bleeding.

My questions: 1) Could I have gotten HIV from either of these incidents? 2) I may get tested to put my mind at ease, but do I need to get tested, in your opinion?

I have OCD, and these things are worrying me. Please tell me what you think! Thank you for your advice, and I will support your charity!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. No, absolutely not.

2. Nope!

By the way, HIV can indeed permeate across an intact mucous membrane. This is not news. We've known this for at least a decade.

Regarding your possible genital warts, I would not wait to see if they spread! I would suggest you go to a dermatologist and have them properly diagnosed and treated without delay.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Good health karma worked..
Next
dr bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.