The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood product contact-HIV risk

Aug 6, 2010

Dr Frascino, I have a similar question and a surgical resident, today I was in the OR for almost 8 hrs with a trauma pt, just after we started I felt a wet area over the skin on one of my legs, because I was assiting I did not pay much attention to it (my mistake) by the end of the surgery I realized I had a big blood stain on my scrub tha went through the fabric and was lying over my skin exposed over my skin for over 8 hrs. When I removed the scrubs the blood was dry already and had some clots on it. I did not filled and incident report, now if I fill the report tomorrow It will be more than 24 hrs after the incident. My question is if my prolonged expousure put me at higher risk of HIV infection and if my pt turn to be HIV positive can HAART could be started 24 hrs or more after expousure? Thx

Response from Dr. Frascino


Prolonged exposure could theoretically increase the risk of HIV transmission.

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an exposure. I would suggest you report the incident immediately so that it can be documented, evaluated and, if necessary, treated. You should also thoroughly review the guidelines for occupational exposures at your institution and make sure your coworkers are aware of the guidelines as well.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Oral Sex from Crack Addicts and HIV transmission
Indeterminate HIV Western Blot Test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint