Oral Sex from Crack Addicts and HIV transmission

Dr. Bob,

I hope you can address this specific situation-- a situation that does not seem to be referred to anywhere on this forum â the high HIV infectivity of crack addicts on the urban streets and receiving oral sex.

First, for many years I have been getting my penis sucked by crack whores (unprotected). I get tested for HIV periodically and I have been negative. I always thought receiving oral sex was safe from HIV âuntil 2 months ago.

Two months ago, I picked up this somewhat emaciated crack whore and had her perform unprotected oral sex on me. I even recorded it so I could look at it later. When she sucked me, I did not see any blood on her tongue or on my penis. But as I watched the tape I saw that her lower lip was rough NOT smooth and intact-- a small part of her lip even looked gouged. I did not observe that at the time.

Anyway, about 3 weeks after this encounter I saw a small dark rash on my left arm between my bicep and forearm (front part of the elbow). At first, I thought nothing of it. A week later it grew bigger. Then a week after that, a smaller version of the rash appeared on the right arm same exact place. A symmetrical flat rashâaffecting both arms but different size. I recognize this as characteristic of acute HIV infection.

I then began to really assess the risk of receiving oral sex specifically from prostitutes who smoke crack. (Which might now be an assessment a little too late)

Questions:

1.) Is it possible for a person who is HIV + and probably not being treated to pass the disease on in just their saliva?

2.) Can a person have blood in their saliva and it not be visible on their tongue or on the places they sucked or licked?

3.) Can you get HIV from your penis touching an open sore in an infected womanâs mouth?

4). Can you get 100 blow jobs from different HIV infected women then at blow job 101 become infected?

5) The patients you see who claim insertive oral sex as the only risk factor-âdid they tell you the circumstances surrounding it? For example, how many were with crack whores? Was blood present not present etc?

Thanks- I appreciate your time and I will make a $70 contribution, I know it's not much, hopefully it can still be put to good use.

It's important to note that 20% of the over-1,000,000 HIV-positive folks in the US have absolutely no idea they are infected with the virus. Consequently, whether it's a crack whore or a clueless and unsuspecting HIV-positive pastor's wife at your local rightwing mega-church, the HIV-acquisition risk would be the same. It's the risky activity (unprotected sex with a person of unknown status), not who is doing the sucking, OK? It may be true that "urban crack whores" have a higher incidence of HIV infection, but as indicated above, one never knows. So let's forget the "crack whore" part and just assume you had unprotected sex with someone who was HIV infected, not in the greatest health and not on antiretroviral therapy, OK?

Next, your description of your rash is not consistent with the rash associated with acute retroviral syndrome.

Next, responding to your specific questions:

1. Saliva may not be the vehicle, but yes, it's possible to contract HIV from unprotected insertive oral sex.

2. Yes.

3. It's theoretically possible.

4. Yes.

I really can't provide you with a detailed account of these patients' histories! Certainly extenuating circumstances were present in at least some of the cases.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. I would recommend you get an HIV-antibody test three months from the time of your last walk on the wild side.

is self sucking safe ? (AUTOFELLATIO 2010)
Blood product contact-HIV risk