possible hiv transmission from hiv+ person with condom being the bottom

I am 20 years old. Last night I had protected anal sex with a guy who is HIV+. I was the bottom and he was the top. I found out after we had sex that he was HIV+ and he said his viral load is undetectable (not sure what that means). I am almost positive that the condom did not break during sex. I am very worried that even if the condom didn't break or did break that I am now positive myself. Can someone offer some insight to what my chances of getting infected by this one time encounter with a person who is HIV+, protected anal sex, and me being the bottom.

thanks!

If you're old enough to be having sex, you're certainly old enough to learn the risks and consequences of your actions. Generally speaking it's way better if you learn this information before you start doing the dance with no pants. So pull up those tighty-whities; you've got some remedial sex education work to do, OK?

I'd suggest you begin right here on TheBody.com. There's a wealth of information on this site, in its archives and expert forums and at related links. Have a look around. In the archives of this forum, for instance, you'll find whole chapters devoted to HIV sexual prevention, HIV sexual transmissions, safer sexual techniques and many related topics.

To answer your question, HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Your HIV-transmission risk would be essentially nonexistent if latex condoms were used properly (including the proper lubricant) and did not fail (break). Unfortunately many folks don't use condoms properly. You can review "proper condom use" in the archives as well. Also, on rare occasions condoms can fail (break).

Finally, as for finding out your horizontal mattress mate was positively charged after the wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, this should't be a major concern if you remember to always follow Dr. Bob's Two Cardinal Rules:

Cardinal Rule #1: Consider all sexual partners could be HIV positive and take all the necessary precautions to prevent transmission of the virus (and other STDs as well).

Cardinal Rule #2: Always remember Cardinal Rule #1!

Get informed and remember to play safe to stay safe.

can there be false positives results
Final Test or Keep Going