re: Quick Q&A Sex Ed Teacher

If HIV were tranmitted that easily, it would have wiped me out for sure when I was a high school freshman. Side note: that's when I got my EMT certification, and HIV wasn't even mensioned in that back then! Sex Ed? That happened rather suddenly at the local drive in theatre ("suddenly?" It seemed rather planned to me).

I have since had a few "scares," the most notable being the "PN" I experienced after lifting a 1/2 ton motorcycle off of someone. PN? Or slipped disk? Umm... neither one is good, but only one is permanent (or so I'm told, but I won't testify). The fact that she (yes, it was a woman caught under that American metal) was bleeding rather profusely, and I applied direct pressure with my newly cut up hands didn't exactly lend a calming effect. But that episode did result in our "involvement" for a short while (until I made the very wise mistake of checking her credit rating, after which I could have won the Boston marathon - hint hint, but that's probably a safe sex concern for later in your life).

Shutting up and getting to the point, when the masseuse "chokes" your mother, he or she is probably working on the upper trapezius muscles (they angle down from her neck to her collar bone).

My question... how significant of an effect has HIV had on teenage pregnancy (in the US)? If unsafe sex were as potentially catastrophic at Woodstock as it is now, I surely wouldn't be here to annoy you. Unfortunately, sex is probably statistically equal to sharing needles at that age now. THAT (needle) isn't as easily made safeR, and has much greater odds of being harmful and/or of transmitting HIV. 2nd question: Can you think of anything worse to say about sharing needles? I'll just add that, once upon a time, I WAS dating a painfully hot nurse, until I caught her shooting up. TGI latex!

1. It's difficult to tease out the effect of one single variable on the rate of teenage pregnancy.

2. Not sure what you're looking for here. Sharing needles is extremely dangerous -- more risky than unprotected receptive anal sex for acquiring for HIV and/or hepatitis C. You can read more about this in the archives.

Finally, I should mention you really have really shitty luck when it comes to female companions. Maybe you should stick to eHarmony?

Quick Q&A Sex Ed Teacher Jul 31, 2010

Dr. I am an 9th grade sex education teacher and we frequent your site, as it was recommended through the San Francisco Aids Foundation. Often, when I don't have direct answers to questions we pull our slide screen down and go to your site! I have a question by our young student that gives me......well.... a little hesitation in believing me. I thought that maybe seeing your response he will see me as being an adequate teacher lol

Here is his question: Hi, Doctor I was wondering if you can contract HIV from those places that give you massages. My mom goes to them often where she gets her nails done and the lady massages her neck and legs/arms/back area. What if my mom has cuts or scratches and if the women have cuts or blood on their hands? They don't use gloves or anything, just bare, dry hands. Can you contract HIV from this if the massage lady had HIV? Remember, they use a lot of force and aggression when they rub my mom, it look like they're choking her.

That was my students question, hope to hear from you! We're sending our money jar around the class to get some money to donate to your wonderful foundation! Keep up the good work!

Teacher Bill

Hello Teacher Bill,

I'm delighted this site is being recommended by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and that you have found it useful in teaching sex ed to your 9th grade class.

As for the student's question, please reassure him that HIV is not transmitted by massage, even if someone has cuts or scratches. If HIV were contracted that easily, it would have wiped out the entire planet long ago. As for the student's final comment, massage is good; choking, however, is not!

Send my best to the class Teacher Bill and I promise to "keep up my good work" if you do the same. Deal?

Self Intercourse
Mommy of three... HRT and HCG? Desperate to lose weight but safely...