Worried Lad seeks advice in Liverpool

Hi Dr Frascino, I am seeking advice/help if possible. A few weeks back i met a lovely bloke and had a great date with him , we got on so well and he decided to tell me he was HIV positive but had it under control as was taking meds regularly for it and leads a healthy safe lifestyle (he thinks he caught it from his previous long term partner whom he learnt was playing away) With liking him and getting on i thought he can still have a relationship..just have to be more careful, we had lots of deep kissing, as we both enjoy kissing (as far as i know there were no cuts wounds to either mouth/gums etc) and he did do some unprotected oral on my penis although not vigorous oral and only a small amount. We decide not to go any further other than this. Thing is now, i am slightly worried as a friend has told me i should get tested as HIV can be transmitted through saliva(kissing) and oral sex if the person is infected. I am not sure if this is true and there fore seeking your help. Really would appreciate a reply. When you can.Many thanks T.Austin

Hello T. Austin,

Kissing is not considered a risk for HIV transmission. Oral sex, particularly insertive oral sex, carries only a very, very low risk. You can learn much more about HIV-transmission risk by reviewing the information on this site, particularly in the archives of this forum. Have a look. We have whole chapters devoted to oral sex, HIV-sexual transmission, safer sexual techniques, etc. I would also suggest you and your virally enhanced potential Mr. Happily-Ever-After read through the information in the archive chapter devoted to magnetic couples. It will address many if your concerns as well as provide some harm-reduction strategies for magnetic couples.

I should also point out that I am the positively charged component of a very successful magnetic couple. We've been together for 17 years. If you want to see my Mr. Wonderful, just check out The Body's Tratamientos forum. He's "Dr. Steve," the expert who runs that forum. Yes, he's a Norwegian who just happens to be fluent in Spanish (go figure), and yes, he really is that handsome and sexy. Don't let Mr. Right get away due to well-meaning but woefully misinformed friends.

Be well.

Give me a chance to choose - Thank u for your respond doc
Urgent: PEP after rubbing with wound and sore