Quick Q&A Sex Ed Teacher

Hello, Dr. I am an 9th grade sex education teacher and we frequent your site, as it was recommended through the San Francisco Aids Foundation. Often, when I don't have direct answers to questions we pull our slide screen down and go to your site! I have a question by our young student that gives me......well.... a little hesitation in believing me. I thought that maybe seeing your response he will see me as being an adequate teacher lol

Here is his question: Hi, Doctor I was wondering if you can contract HIV from those places that give you massages. My mom goes to them often where she gets her nails done and the lady massages her neck and legs/arms/back area. What if my mom has cuts or scratches and if the women have cuts or blood on their hands? They don't use gloves or anything, just bare, dry hands. Can you contract HIV from this if the massage lady had HIV? Remember, they use a lot of force and aggression when they rub my mom, it look like they're choking her.

That was my students question, hope to hear from you! We're sending our money jar around the class to get some money to donate to your wonderful foundation! Keep up the good work!

Teacher Bill

Hello Teacher Bill,

I'm delighted this site is being recommended by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and that you have found it useful in teaching sex ed to your 9th grade class.

As for the student's question, please reassure him that HIV is not transmitted by massage, even if someone has cuts or scratches. If HIV were contracted that easily, it would have wiped out the entire planet long ago. As for the student's final comment, massage is good; choking, however, is not!

Send my best to the class Teacher Bill and I promise to "keep up my good work" if you do the same. Deal?

"NOY" Reactive
It's your George Clooney Look-Alike Again ;) + Donation