Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Quick Q&A Sex Ed Teacher
Jul 31, 2010

Hello, Dr. I am an 9th grade sex education teacher and we frequent your site, as it was recommended through the San Francisco Aids Foundation. Often, when I don't have direct answers to questions we pull our slide screen down and go to your site! I have a question by our young student that gives me......well.... a little hesitation in believing me. I thought that maybe seeing your response he will see me as being an adequate teacher lol

Here is his question: Hi, Doctor I was wondering if you can contract HIV from those places that give you massages. My mom goes to them often where she gets her nails done and the lady massages her neck and legs/arms/back area. What if my mom has cuts or scratches and if the women have cuts or blood on their hands? They don't use gloves or anything, just bare, dry hands. Can you contract HIV from this if the massage lady had HIV? Remember, they use a lot of force and aggression when they rub my mom, it look like they're choking her.

That was my students question, hope to hear from you! We're sending our money jar around the class to get some money to donate to your wonderful foundation! Keep up the good work!

Teacher Bill

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Teacher Bill,

I'm delighted this site is being recommended by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and that you have found it useful in teaching sex ed to your 9th grade class.

As for the student's question, please reassure him that HIV is not transmitted by massage, even if someone has cuts or scratches. If HIV were contracted that easily, it would have wiped out the entire planet long ago. As for the student's final comment, massage is good; choking, however, is not!

Send my best to the class Teacher Bill and I promise to "keep up my good work" if you do the same. Deal?

Dr. Bob

Previous
"NOY" Reactive
Next
It's your George Clooney Look-Alike Again ;) + Donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.