Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

afraid i'll never trust again - i.e. no more toe-curling kinda sex
Jul 28, 2010

I'm a gay man in what I thought was a monogamous 9 year relationship. My partner was diagnosed with HIV in February after cheating on me with multiple partners (25 that he's admitted too).Thankfully, I have just tested negetive after 6 months since my last exposure to him. He claims that he only practiced safe sex when bottoming with others but allowed other strangers to cum in his mouth (he says he read somewhere that the enzymes in the mouth kill HIV, so he thought this was ok). Is he telling me the truth? I've discovered he was also participating in bareback cybersex chat rooms so I know that was a fantasy of his and fear that he actually barebacked for real. Is it statistically possible to contract HIV through unprotected oral sex and protected anal sex. What are the odds? I'm afraid to trust him that he'll not go off and do this again and get co-infected thus increasing my risk of contraction. He's getting help for his sexual addiction, but unfortunately unlike drug or alcohol addict (which is pretty apparent), I'll probably never know if he relapses (he cheated on me for 18 months without me having the faintest idea). Any info you could provide to help ease my mind would be so appreciated. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Sorry to learn that your partner has been deceiving you. I have absolutely no way of determining if he is telling the truth or not regarding his sexual exploits.

The HIV-acquisition risk for oral sex is very low, but not completely nonexistent. Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condoms were used properly and did not break.

As far as next steps, you definitely have trust issues with your positively charged partner. I'd suggest couples counseling to see if that trust can be rebuilt.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
can the control positive vial at the HIV ELISA kit transmitt HIV infection if contacted skin
Next
Bottom turns top

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.