Can my son still be a nurse if he has AIDS

My son is 24 yrs old and has AIDS. He's on meds, his viral load is undetectable and his CDC count is around 300. He suffers no side effects from the meds and is very healthy, (with the exception of AIDS). He is currently enrolled in school working on a nursing degree. Last night we were talking and he expressed concern about the possibility of getting sick from patients and dying because of his compromised immune system. What advice can you give. Should he seek another career or can he follow this career path? Thank you a concerned mom --- GGR

Hello GGR,

As a general rule, I encourage HIVers to follow their dreams and not let HIV interfere with their life, love, career or happiness. There are many aspects of nursing that would not put your son at any increased risk. He should be open with the training director at his nursing school to assure he is not placed in any situation that might be a risk for him. Your son's HIV physician specialist should be willing to discuss this with the appropriate person at the nursing school.

I'm Addicted to Donating...I Hope You're Addicted to Giving Answers!
can the control positive vial at the HIV ELISA kit transmitt HIV infection if contacted skin