One more thing to confirm

Hi Doctor, You mean if my sex is qualified as the high-risk exposure to HIV, I must monitor my Antibody up to 6 months. So it is meaningless for my previous tests? even for possible Antigen tests?

Thanks a lot!

Your previous tests are not "meaningless;" in fact, they are very encouraging. However, they are not conclusive or definitive. For a conclusive result you'll need to repeat your HIV-antibody test at the three- and six-month marks.

You're welcome a lot!

Six Weeks enough? Jul 27, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

My boyfriend was diagnosed to be a HIV infector, and we took two or three times of unprotected sex. We are gays and I am the bottom role. I have tested after his diagnosis around 2 weeks, 22 days and 43 days. (The latter two tests are based on HIV antigen/antibody combination test, say that 4th generation).Some of advisors told me that I have no rish of infection of HIV, while others persist on that 3 months. May I know your opinion?

Thanks a lot!

No, six weeks is not enough. The current guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing immediately, at three months, and again at six months for significant HIV exposures. Having unprotected anal receptive sex with a top partner confirmed to be HIV positive would definitely qualify as a significant HIV exposure.

I would suggest you and your boyfriend read through the chapter in the archives devoted to magnetic couples.

Good luck to you both.

Doesn't Make Sense
Please please please help 3rd attempt