Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

85 cents, doc! I'm in shock... really
Jul 27, 2010

Hello, my friend.

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if you were kind of mad with me, because I had no more answers! (just kidding!!! I know how busy you are and I know you receive tons of emails)

Well, let me tell you something... When I read you saying that it costs only 85 cents to provide antiretroviral medication to pregnant woman, I was in shock... (hope this is how it's suppose to be written...)

Those 85 cents are for one dose? For a week? A month? How many hiv positive future moms are in there, doc?

I just can't accept that this world spends so much money in wars and so many other stupid things instead of taking care of people!!! I know that saying it is like "rain in the wet ground", as we say here in Brazil, but that's how I feel...

I'm very very happy to be able to help. Even if we can't change this world, doc, I believe we can do something to make it a better place.

I disagree with a lot of things in the brazilian government, but, if I'm not wrong, the hiv medication, here, is given for free, despite of the people condition to pay for it... If I'm not wrong (again), it's forbidden to sell the hiv medication here. All the patents were broken (well, I don't know if it's legal or not - I don't know if it's "cool" with the laboratories too) and the meds are given to the people that need it.

In the other hand, about information, I'm not sure how it is in other countries. But here in Brazil there's a lot of mixed and wrong information.

I think I've told you that in a site of questions and answers, there's a lot of things being told that makes us almost to "freeze"...

It's easy to find people saying that the virus is airbone (tons of people saying it)... I see a lot of questions like "I had sex and I didn't use condoms. Now, what can I do?". What can he/she do? Gosh!!!!!!! Use condoms! I always answer that accidents are differente from playing russian rollete.

Yesterday I saw a "nurse" conselling others to have the test up to 2 years after the exposition, from 6 to 6 months, because 2 years is the window period. Doc, she is a nurse and she is saying that big huge stupid thing and scaring people (people without information believe any given information, wrong or right)!!!!!

I'm trying to spread the information I learn here, doc. I hope I'm being able to help in some way.

Well, that's it! I'm sorry for my outflow...

Good to know it was a good trip! I don't like "hot", I prefer "cold". I'm happy we're in the winter here (well, the winter here is not so rigorous, but it's better than the 40, 42C that is done here in the summer)...

I'm glad you're enjoying the photo book and the CD/DVD. I'm translating some tales I wrote so I can send to you in english.

Never mind about a formal thank you, my friend. It's really good to know you liked it. Thank you a lot!!!

That's it, my friend!

Best regards!

BFF Brazilian guy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey BFF Brazilian Guy,

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation works with other not-for-profit tax-exempt charitable organizations to provide crucial services to HIV-infected men, women and children worldwide. We've teamed up with another organization that is doing wonderful work preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission in Africa. The reduced cost of antiretrovirals to treat HIV-infected mothers is part of one such program. Yes, 85 cents can save a life!

Regarding Brazil, they are one of the success stories in the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Brazil had a very high infection rate early in the pandemic. Their decision to provide antiretroviral therapy at no charge to all those who need it dramatically decreased the rate of new infections and saved the country countless dollars (decreased cost of hospitalization and treatment of HIV-related illness, decreased HIV mortality/morbidity also allowed HIVers to continue working, etc.).

As for HIV/AIDS myth, misconception, fear and stigma, this is a worldwide problem.

HIV is not airborne.

HIV testing beyond six months is not recommended or warranted.

The "50 Praias Inesqueciveis do Brasil" book is currently residing on my coffee table and has garnered many comments from my friends. Once again, many thanks!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RE: Dr. Bob -- ITS YOUR SURFER MATES - WITH YET ANOTHER QUESTION - PLEASE ADDRESS!
Next
Doesn't Make Sense

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.