Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Homosexual Misconcpetion- What did my Parents do to me?! Donation.
Jul 27, 2010

I was raised in a Christian family that instilled in me that HIV/AIDS is something gays get and because of their sin in being gay. I happen to believe it's a crock of horse poop!! Yet what they did do successfully is give me these thoughts that hinder me.

I was sitting in class diagonal from this gay man. About 2 feet away from me (diagonal) He was about 21 years old or so. He had really back acne on his face and when he walked into class he was sweating really bad, I suppose because our class is on the 4th floor. Anyways, he pulled out a tissue from his pocket and started wiping his face dry. I then noticed 2 pimples on his face that were bleeding. I'm so worried now if blood could have flown in my eye from the closeness that we were siting?? And I also have a cut on my bottom lip from where I peeled off the skin. It did bleed a few hours before this incident (12 hours or so). And of course the thoughts that he's gay comes into my head and worry that he may have HIV.

Just as a note, I hate that I feel this way at times. I hate that my parents essentially did this to me. I just want to know if this fear is irrational or a serious cause to worry.

So "if" he had HIV/AIDS and he wiped his face with the blood coming out from the pimples, is it posible it got into my eyes? Remember, I was about 2 feet away from him. I kept staring at the blood on his face, like a million times! Is this a risk too? Just looking at it, maybe it could have entered my eyes!! *I also had a cut on my lip from peeling the skin off my bottom lip that bled a few hours before this (12 hrs or so), does this pose a risk as well?

I will gladly donate $50 to your foundation, and after your advice I'm going to talk to my parents and tell them the failures they are to have instilled this in my mind. I love everyone, I don't care about sexual orientation, religion or gender, but I can't help these fears that have been a part of me since I was younger.

Please give me some of you wisdom on the situation in class that I mentioned above.

Love and best wishes, Sue.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sue,

Another "good christian family" preaching hate and fear. I tend to doubt the higher powers will be pleased with folks like your parents who teach intolerance and totally screw up their children's lives in the process.

Sue, your fears are unwarranted. Blood does not "fly." Yes, your fears are irrational and most likely linked to the ranting of your clueless parents. Check out the archives. You'll find other testimonials similar to yours. You should find the information both enlightening and reassuring. I would encourage you to confront your parents' misconceptions.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help-psychologist said to ask you (FLIPPED, 2010)
Next
CD4 glycoprotein injections

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.