Stupid Freaking Idiot Is In Desperate Need Of An Answer

Hello Doctor

Right now I am completely terrified and freaking out to the point of hyperventilating. I am a straight man who does not do drugs of any kind, and is generally not at all promiscuous (I can count my total partners on both hands, and don't need all my fingers)). I have never had any STD, and had no open sores or cuts on my penis that I was aware of at the time this took place. 3 weeks ago, after having a few too many, I went home with a girl who I would classify as an acquaintance. Alcohol momentarily shut off the brain, and I MAY have penetrated her barely, though definitely not all the way in. After maybe 5 or 6 seconds, my brain turned back on and I extricated myself from the situation (no pun intended). Approximately 4-5 days later, I caught a very minor sore throat, no other symptoms. My girlfriend and I had one instance of unprotected sex later that week, (I did not ejaculate) and now 2 weeks later, she has a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes, no fever, nausea, or any other ARS symptoms) She went to the doctor and strep throat and mono tests came back negative. In addition, I have started having random numbness in my feet. Right now I am terrified I am infected and even worse, that I have infected my new girlfriend over a five second screw up! What are the odds that I/We are infected?? I know I need to probably be tested, but it's too soon for a conclusive test isn't it? Please answer, and I will be HAPPY to make a $150.00 donation. PLEASE!

Thank You

Stupid Freaking Idiot

Hi SFI (Stupid Freaking Idiot),

Relax Max! The HIV-acquisition risk for five seconds of possible (but not for sure) unprotected partial vaginal penetration is exceedingly low. The chance you subsequently transmitted HIV to your girlfriend with a single episode of unprotected sex without ejaculation resulting in her current symptoms is a quantum leap beyond remote.

My advice is that you level with your girlfriend. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do. (If the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want to know?) You should then use protection (latex condoms) at least until you can reconfirm your HIV-negative status at the three-month mark (from the date of potential exposure). HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Thank you for your generous gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated and urgently needed. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

Good luck! Be well!

DR.BOB ON CNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Bob, you are invited to our wedding!!