Started PEP after condom malfunction with my HIV positive wife

I had a condom malfunction with my undetectable wife at about 3:00am this morning and the condom broke and I immediately pulled out without another pump. Unfortunately we live in a small town and hospitals are closed during the weekend. So about seven hours after the incident I started PEP with the following regimen: Norvir (Ritonavir), Truvada, and Reyataz (atazanavir sulfate 300mg), which are my wife's meds. Please I wish to find out if this regimen is good for PEP or is there some particular regimen for PEP. With this seven hours lapse between the condom break and the start of PEP, how good are my chances? We intend to go see my wife's doctor first thing Monday morning. Please respond and thanks.

The hospitals are closed during the weekend??? WOWZA, just how small is your town and what happens if someone has a heart attache on a Saturday night?

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is a general term for using approved antiretroviral drugs to try to prevent/abort HIV transmission after a significant HIV exposure. The regimen you mention certainly would qualify for effective PEP. I agree you should see your wife's HIV specialist for ongoing monitoring during your 28-day course of PEP and post-PEP HIV-antibody testing.

As for your HIV-acquisition risk, it is exceedingly low, as your exposure was extremely brief, your wife is on combination antiretroviral therapy which has driven her HIV plasma viral load to undetectable levels, and you began PEP relatively soon after the exposure.

I would suggest you and your wife read through the information in the archives in the chapter devoted to magnetic couples. You can also learn much more about PEP in the archives as well.

Good luck to you both.

can i catch std
Expression of Gratitude