The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anxiety...Depression or stress

Jul 10, 2010

Hello doctor..I am still having hard time accepting your assurance. I have had false positive result(Positive ICMA and Negative western blot). I feel like I have been having low grade fever...ever since I got positive screening test..I feel like having loose stools as well and feel little dizzy. I cannot sleep at night either. Its been 10 month....I dont know what to do...Please help

Response from Dr. Frascino


You correctly identified your problem in the title of your post: "Anxiety . . . Depression." Your fears are irrational and unwarranted. If you're worried about your previous test results, get a single repeat test. If your antibody test results are confusing or in dispute, get a qualitative HIV DNA PCR. This test is not FDA approved for diagnostic testing; however, it can be helpful in sorting out confusing antibody-test results as the DNA PCR test does not rely on antibodies. Rather, it assays for a piece of the virus's genetic material. I have no doubt your repeat test will confirm your HIV-negative status. If after that you continue to perseverate on an illness you could not possibly have, I would recommend you seek psychotherapy (counseling) to help you confront your irrational and totally unwarranted fears of being HIV infected.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Give me a chance to choose
PEP and HIV Test

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint