Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEY SURFER DR.BOB -- IT'S THE MATES WITH A QUESTION - PLEASE HELP -- YOU'RE THE COOLEST!
Jul 10, 2010

Hey Dude - Dr. Bob with RESPECT,

I have two issues that I think you can help us hommes understand. We knew such a cool Dr. as yourself you could help us with these questions.

1.) We get pretty messed up feet when we surf (as you well know) so my question is this. I wear what are called fishermen sandals. They look like a shoe wit holes that can allow your feet to breathe. When I get home I walk around the house and then I take them off and walk around bare foot. What are the chances of HIV+ coming off the bottom of my sandals and with my messed up feet -- cuts, scrapes, coral cuts, and messed up toe nails. What are the chances of catching the HIV virus this way? I don't know what I walked or stepped in. ""Then I get home walk around for a few seconds and then take off my shoes and immediately walk around the house barefoot."" Who knows what is on the bottom of the shoes or sandals. What are the chances of catching HIV this way if I did indeed step into something and brought it in the house took my sandals off and immediately walked in the same tracks as when I had my shoes or sandals on? Remember the condition of my feet! Even at their worst - what are the chances of catching the HIV virus like this?

2.) What about walking bare foot on the beach? Can we catch the HIV virus like this if somebody who has HIV+ - we walked in their tracks? or walking just ahead of us? Remember our feet. Even at their worst- What are our chances of catching the virus like this?

3.) Last question -- What about walking anywhere bare foot? Up and down the boardwalk -- Anywhere -- Again, Can we catch the HIV virus like this if somebody who has HIV+ - we walked in their tracks? or is walking just ahead of us? Remember our feet. Even at their worst--What are our chances of catching the virus like this?

Thanks Dr. Surfer Bob - You're the coolest around, Surfer dude Hang tight !!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Surfer Dude,

1. Even at its worst, the HIV-acquisition risk would be completely nonexistent.

2. Even at its worst, the HIV-acquisition risk would be completely nonexistent.

3. Even at its worst, the HIV-acquisition risk would be completely nonexistent.

Surfer Dude you remain way too concerned about HIV. Remember, HIV is an extremely fragile virus that does not live for very long at all outside the body. It clearly could not stand the heat on Bell's Beach or the boardwalk along Bondi Beach.

Don't let HIV paranoia ruin your day at the beach (or your life).

I'm hanging . . . .

Dr. Bob

Previous
Do u know this medicne
Next
Husband Dentist Exposed to HIV on Job Yesterday

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.