Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Did I give HIV to my mother?
Jul 8, 2010

Hey Dr. Thank you for answering my question. It is causing me considerable anxiety. I was diagnosed HIV+ 3 years ago. Before I was diagnosed, I had MRSA. My mother thought we should squeeze one of the boils on my back. She used a paper towel, but said only clear liquid came out. I decided to get an HIV test because it seemed like I was having a hard time kicking the MRSA, and also because I was having problems with diarrhea. After I was diagnosed, I remembered my mom helping me with my boil, and was scared maybe she got it from me. My viral load at the time of diagnoses was around 50,000. If she came in contact with any fluid from the boil it would have been minimal, because I distinctly remember her saying nothing would come out, that it was just a hard lump, just some clear liquid when she pushed really hard. Anyway... fast forward three years later, I am on meds and doing fine. My mom, on the other hand is having a lot of problems with diarrhea, for unexplained reasons. Her Dr. gave her xanax because he thought it was from nerves and stress... which is EXACTLY what my DR. said to me, before I had an HIV test. I have not told my parents about my status because they could not even handle me being gay. My mom has excellend healthcare, so I have been hoping she has had an HIV test in the past three years, but am not sure if that is standard practice or not. Anyway... I am really scared I gave it to my mom, and she is starting to get sick because it would never occur to her or her doctors to check for it. Please let me know your thoughts on this. I think it is kind of a legitimate concern, at least compared to some of the crazy far out questions you get on here. Thanks a lot.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Although the chances your mother could contract HIV from the episode you describe are beyond remote, I would still suggest you disclose your HIV status to her. If the situation were reversed, would't you want to know? Read through the chapter in the archives devoted to "disclosure." The information there may help should you choose to disclose your status to your mom. Once you've disclosed, you can recommend she get an HIV-antibody test, primarily for your (and her) peace of mind.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE RE-READ... ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - Please Help Me Dr. Bob - I do not want to lose my wife !
Next
Dr. Bob -- You gave me the donating Information - Much Appreciated - But you forgot to answer the question I Assked?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.