HPV & HIV

Hello Dr. Rob,

I am a bisexual male. I found out about a month or so ago a male partner I had been with has HIV. I was the bottom and, because we were regularly having fun, we did forgo condoms from time to time. This sex was over a couple of years ago. During this time, I don't recall having ARS symptoms. I've read that the initial infection symptoms are many times flu-like but much more intense. I did however contract HPV from a female partner with whom I was monogamous for over a year. Would contracting HPV be enough to assume a compromised immune system?

Another more general question: I feel like once the idea was planted in my head of the possibility of infection I started "seeing symptoms". I mean I've had strep throat, a sore throat, allergies and even a bout with staph but are all of those over a 2 year period reason to worry? or signs of being immunocompromised?

By the way, you're awesome for doing what you do and I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Kristian

Hello Kristian,

Contracting HPV does not suggest your immune system is compromised. In fact the vast majority of cases of HPV have absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

Your fears are unwarranted. Your intercurrent illnesses are not suggestive of HIV or an immunocompromised state.

Regarding your HIV risk, having unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Symptoms or no symptoms, you should have an STD screen and HIV test three months or longer after the date of last possible exposure (unprotected sex).

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Please answer and l will donate
SUPER BOB HELP NEEDED BUS DRVER IN DISTRESS!!