ARS symptom?

Hi Dr. Bob. Thanks for your time reading this. I will explain the scenario of my exposure. I had a cut on my thumb from a knife 3 days before exposure. During foreplay I used a finger on a girls front. For all I know, she started bleeding, I pulled out and noticed my middle fingers coated in blood. Am not sure if i touched my thumb with the fingers. She has HIV positive for a while now.

I know symptoms are not dependable to distinguish if you are infected, but am having muscle wasting on my calves and biceps, triceps. Just wanted to know if that can be symptoms. I went for testing 2 1/2 months later and am negative through rapid tests. Is that conclusive my dear Doctor?

P.S. You are a blessing. I read everyday your responses to peoples questions and am suprised at your devotion. Dont ever change that attitude no matter how many fluffernutters you get. Be blessed Dr. Bob! K.G.

Hi K.G.,

HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive. That said, your negative rapid test at 2.5 months is extremely encouraging because the vast majority (but not all) of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four to six weeks after the primary infection. I would suggest you repeat your HIV test at three months. I'm quite confident it will again be negative.

As for muscle wasting of the calves, biceps and triceps, this would not be related to HIV infection that was acquired only several months previously. HIV-related muscle wasting would not occur quickly.

Good luck and thanks for your kind comments.

Response to Struggling to carry on....pt 3
Going Nuts..Donation on the way