Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Response to Struggling to carry on....pt 3
Jul 2, 2010

Hi Dr Bob, Thanks for the reply. Just to let you know that a good few of my tests did include HIV 2. However, I don't think any have been evaluated for group N and P. Are they worth considering or are their possibility to way out there to worry about? thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Testing for extremely rare subtypes is not warranted.

You're welcome!

Dr. Bob

Struggling to carry on....please reply pt 3!! Jun 30, 2010

Dear Dr.Bob,

Cant believe Im still writing to you but, Im getting freaked by worsening symptoms!! To summarise, I had drunken sex with a black CSW in Germany over 3 years ago now. I cant remember enough about it to know if it was unprotected or not. Ive since discovered that over 70% of CSWs in Germany are migrants so there is a high possibility that she was from Africa (never asked at the time or cant remember if I did). Anyway, Ive had 11 antibody tests since then (mixture of 4th gen tests and 2nd and 3rd gen rapid tests) plus, I recently had the Taqscreen Multiplex test. Everything was negative.

Since my risk Ive started to get looser stools, aggressive gum disease, oral thrush and seborrheic dermatitis. All diagnosed by my doctor and dentist. Anyway, the seborrhoea is getting worse. Its gone from just affecting my ears and face to include my arms and groin. I have cream from my GP that helps on my face. But, the area it is affecting is getting bigger and bigger. My dentist is at a loss as to why my gum recession isnt subsiding and I get pain and throbbing in my gums and jaw. Ive had ongoing urithritis symptoms on and off over the last year and over last 6 months Ive started to get very noticeable horizontal ridges and troughs in my nails!!

I really wish I could believe you Dr. Bob when you told me I was negative. But, Im struggling to see that these worsening symptoms could be anything but, HIV. After having all these tests is that really possible? Is there a possibility of a rare strain being missed or that Im not making antibodies that the tests would detect? Is there any other test that would put any possibilities completely to bed? Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your 11 negative HIV-antibody tests and negative Taqscreen Multiplex Test out three years are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted (assuming your HIV-antibody tests included HIV-2 due to the possibility your CSW was from West Africa).

I'm not denying your symptoms. Rather, I'm just advising that the cause is not HIV. Unfortunately I cannot diagnose the exact cause of your ailments over the Internet. However, I can with great confidence advise you what is not causing them: It's not HIV!

I would suggest you continue to follow up with a good general internal medicine doctor and your dentist to help you evaluate and treat any persistent symptoms you may have. In addition, if you cannot accept the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence that you are HIV negative, you should seek counseling. Psychotherapy can be very helpful in situations like yours.

Good luck. Remember, despite your fears, HIV is not your problem!

Dr. Bob

Previous
DR Frascino its been a while...I from Italy
Next
ARS symptom?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.