Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False positive HIV results
Jun 26, 2010

Hi, I just had my annual labs done and my HIV test came back as a false positive. The western blot was negative but the other two factors of the hiv panel were positive. The one that is supposed to be >1.0 was 1.45 so just barelt high. What does thid mean and why would someone get a false positive? I am not a high risk patient either. I am a 34 year old woman with one partner. I am really freakin out! I went and did more labwork yesterday to get a cd4, viral load, etc.. but I have to wait a week to get results. I'm so scared. What do I do? I am also worried because I work in the medical field. And I have Vista insurance, I would never be able to afford the meds. Does someone with hiv automatically qualify for medicad? Oh my goodness, I have a million things running through my mind! Please give me any advice! Thank you, So unbelievably scared!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello So Unbelievably Scared,

Relax. You are HIV negative! A positive ELISA coupled with a negative confirmatory Western Blot is considered a negative HIV screening test. (The Western Blot is a more specific test!) There was absolutely no indication for you to get a CD4 count or HIV viral load! Those tests are not warranted and the results will undoubtedly be normal.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WHAT GOOD ARE HIV TEST IF THEY DON'T WORK!!
Next
I am worried sick..I have donated..Plese Reply.......Please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.