The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Jun 26, 2010

Dr Bob I have been dealing with this for over three years 7 doctors 8 negative antibody test 1 negative pcr and lately 1 indeterminate western blot 1 band not sure which one and now the ID doctor wants me to wait a month for another western blot. I have had no exposures in past three years and I have donated blood. The day after the western blot I had another antibody test at the local free clinic that was also negative. After all this negative testing how can I get a indeterminate western blot? What happened to the 3 to 6 month window? Could this be some other subtype?

The reason I have been going though all this testing is I have been very ill with crazy symptoms and every time I go to the doctor he or she will run another HIV test on me it is not my choice he also said that I was very vitamin D deficience. So if I am infected with HIV how can anyone be certain they are truly negative?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Seven doctors, eight negative HIV-antibody tests and one negative PCR over three years??? What's up with that? Your results are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted.

Your recent indeterminate Western Blot is of no concern. Western Blot tests should never be run independent of a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA test. Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is certain: it's not HIV.

Dr. Bob

ER resident desperate for some help. Please. Please.
False positive HIV results

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint