Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ER resident desperate for some help. Please. Please.
Jun 26, 2010

Hi dr bob. I'm such a fan of yours and appreciate your opinion so much which is why I desperately want your input on this scenario that happened to me. I'm in my second timester of pregnancy an I'm an Er resident. While suturing up a skin laceration I felt an instrument graze my hand an became very anxious that I may have pricked myself. When I took my gloves off I had a tiny cut on my hand but it may have been old and um not sure if it was in the location where an instrument grazed my hand. It was hard to tell. There was absolutely no active blood. I subsequently became anxious thinking that maybe I pricked myself superficially but deep enough to put me and m baby at risk for HIV. When I spoke to occupational health they refused to follow up on this incident because I did not bleed following this incident and I was not even sure if I truly got pricked. I did feel a surge of anxiety during his procure which was out of character for me and an instrument did graze my hand and I did have a small cut on my hand. All of the what ifs started going through my mind. Please please help me try to think calmly about this incident. Did I put myself or my baby at risk of infection with this incident. Should I get tested in 3 or 6 months. I'm very anxious thinking back on his incident and don't know who else to turn to. Thank you so much for your time and help and I will donate to your charity for everything that you do. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi ER Resident,

I agree with the occupational health assessment: no risk. However, if you remain concerned, get an HIV test at three months. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Negitave dna pcr inconclusive western blot
Next
WHAT GOOD ARE HIV TEST IF THEY DON'T WORK!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.