Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please post for Worry-wells!
Jun 26, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob,

So today I got my EIA/ELISA HIV1/HIV2 test result back from my doctor, and they're both "non-reactive". My last "risky" (brief receptive anal sex with person of unknown HIV status, no ejaculation) sexual encounter was in mid-january, and I've not had sex since (I also don't do drugs!). So this confirms my negative status, despite my past belief that I was HIV positive.

I was so scared for so long..in fact I wrote you several times about oral symptoms (those damn white tongues!), enlarged lymph on neck, dry skin, GI symptoms, fever...and was almost 100% sure that I am positive. Well, one tests after another all turn negative on me (Except for herpes, but that was known 2 years ago), so just like you said, test result trumps symptoms each and every time! I've also learned that my past sexual indiscretion is a large result of my depression and mild bi-polar symptoms, which is now under control by medication and psychotherapy. And I haven't had a random sexual encounter since. Dr. Bob, at the end of the day, I've learned that it's really about taking care of yourself as a whole; I've always knew about HIV and STDs and how they transmit, yet when my depression strikes I lose all inhibition and put myself in risky situation. Then later regret and scare myself to death with the possible consequences. To anyone out there who has the same problem, I'd highly recommend to receive psychotherapy -- there may just be a psychological underlying cause for those impulsive "heated moments".

Dr. Bob - thanks again for your work. You're doing such a great service by being the "voice of reason" to all of us that are so concerned about this disease.

Ex-worry well

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Ex-Worried Well,

Welcome to our X-Files (Ex-Worried Wells). WOOO-HOOO! Thanks for your thanks and your kind comments and for writing back to share your story. All are warmly appreciated. I absolutely agree with your comments about psychotherapy!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Vaginal Fluids on palm of hand and fluid taste, nipple sucking
Next
Negitave dna pcr inconclusive western blot

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.