Help - 3rd mail in 24 hours - Sorry

Dear Dr. Bob,

Sorry for the trouble. But I have less than 24 hours to start PEP. I'm desperate. Please help me. Question repeated below.

Dear Dr. Bob, I (male) had the sex with a man less than 24 hours ago and now I feel very slightly feverish and tired. Could be from the paranoia after reading stuff on the internet and extensive travel yesterday as well but don't know. I'm not aware of the HIV status of this other person. I was definitely HIV -ve as of yesterday and not sure now. We kissed a lot throughout (deep). We had protected anal sex - the condom was intact throughout (I was the "top"). He gave me unprotected oral sex for about 20 minutes and I reciprocated for about 3 minutes. There was no ejaculation of semen from either side. I am now very concerned. Have I contracted HIV? Please help me. Will definitely donate. Thanks, Very Concerned Mortal.

Hi Very Concerned Mortal,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low at best. Protected anal sex is indeed "protected," assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break). Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

Your symptoms within 24 hours of your wham-bam-thank-you-Sam sexperience would not be due to HIV infection. The symptoms related to HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) generally become manifest two to three weeks following primary HIV infection.

PEP is not warranted. A single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all that would be recommended. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this adventure, OK?

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always be HIV free!

Just a quickie - can you help us to enjoy the world cup?
Thank you thank you thank you