Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just a quickie - can you help us to enjoy the world cup?
Jun 25, 2010

Dear Bobinino (that is if you were a brazilian soccer player),

Just a quickie.

Me and my partner are very worried and just wanna to enjoy the world cup.

One of us was exposed to HIV via heterosexual contact about 13 weeks ago and since had intercourse (unportected). Weve had the following tests:

Me - PCR RT Viral Load at about 4-5 weeks (Undetected), DUO test at 6 and 10weeks (Neg). Rapid test (negative) at 11 weeks.

Partner - DUo test at 5 weeks and 10 weeks (both negative).

Weve both been ill and had various things gowrong probably due to stress in the meantime. My partner had flu & pharyngiotis and I had chest infection, rash, oral candida and enlarged lymph nodes (confirmed by a doc). My blood results showed a dip in the lymphocyte count but now its nearly ok.

Can we stop worrying? Do we need to test anymore?

Theres too much online to know what is right or wrong...?

By the way, who do you think will win the world cup?

If your right, Ill make a double donation to your foundation.

Thanks

Stevie

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Stevie,

The gold standard for HIV diagnostic tests remains an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The negative tests you and your partner have to date, including your negative rapid test at 11 weeks and an undetectable quantitative HIV PCR RNA viral load, are extremely encouraging. The vast majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following HIV primary infection. That said, you have not had a negative three-month HIV antibody test yet and most viral load tests are not FDA approved for diagnostic purposes. My advice would be to stop worrying and enjoy the World Cup games. The person who had the HIV exposure should get one additional HIV-antibody test (rapid test, ELISA, EIA, Duo, etc.) at the three-month mark. I'm quite confident the result will once again be negative.

As for who will win the World Cup, both Brazil and Spain look good to me. I guess I'll root for Brazil because I like the Bobinino name!

Good luck!

Dr. Bobinino

Previous
For Dr Robert James Can i Get Marry now with out any more testing
Next
Help - 3rd mail in 24 hours - Sorry

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.