Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV tranmission through Blade - pls help
Jun 25, 2010

Dear Bob, I trust you are well! I have been checking my mailbox and this site everyday for your answer but so far no luck. This is the 2nd time requesting you for answer. Kindly answer my below question.

2 weeks back I went a Barber-Shop to get my Hair cut and Shave my Beard. The Barber in that Saloon cut my Hair and shaved my Beard. When I back to my home noticed that I forgot to get removed the hair grown in my hand pits (under shoulders), so I went to the same barber-shop to get removed/shaved the hair grown in my hand pits

When I revisited the Barber Shop I asked the Barber to remove the hair grown in my hand pits. The Barber removed the hair grown in my hand pits by using the same blade which he used to remove the hair grown in the hand pits of another person. While removing the hair grown in the hand pits, Barber didnt apply any shaving cream neither at the hand pits of mine nor hand pits of my predecessor. While the Barber removing hair grown in my hand pits unfortunately there was cut happened in my right hand pit and small amount of blood came out. Now my worry is that since the Barber used the same Blade for two persons, if the first person happens to be HIV positive and encounters a cut then what are the chances of the second person (Me) also encountered a cut, exposed to HIV. The time interval between the same blade used for me and my predecessor is less than 5 minutes

Kindly advise.

I would like to contribute some amount of money to your foundation which is serving HIV infected people. Helping hands are better than praying lips Mother Theresa.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm still not exactly sure what or where your "hand pits" are, but that really doesn't matter. Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low at best. The chances the previous customer was HIV infected are remote. The chances he too was cut are also extremely slim. Even if the previous guy was positively charged and even if the barber was clumsy enough to cut you both, the chances an adequate amount of fresh HIV-tainted blood entered your blood stream would be nearly nonexistent. So adding all these extremely remote possibilities together hopefully you can realize your actual chance of becoming HIV infected from this hypothetical situation are well beyond remote. If you remain concerned despite my reassurance, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thank you for your willingness to help others in desperate need. I also very much agree with Mother Theresa: "Helping hands are better than praying lips."

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Should I go on?
Next
Oral with a twist!!how can I donate to the cause?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.