continued testing

dear Dr Bob, My boyfriend/live in was diagnosed in March of this year as HIV pos. I fortunately tested -. We are very much in love and I plan on staying in the relationship. His Doctor said I should keep getting tested and I'm not sure why. We currntly are not having sex (too scared)and when we do resume sex plan on always using condoms. Do I really still need to get rechecked every few months? That doesn't feel like the sex is very "safe". We live in an area where there doesn't seem to be very much help for couples like us. I feel very scared, sad and alone any advise? Thank you for your time.

You should have an HIV-antibody test at both the three- and six-month marks from the date of your last exposure (unprotected sex) to confirm your HIV-negative status.

I would also recommend you and your boyfriend read through the chapter on magnetic couples in the archives of this forum. There are some harm-reduction strategies there you may wish to consider.

Patient require your help!!! (GROUP O, Subtype O, 2010)
Samba lessons