Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need Help from an Angel
Jun 18, 2010

Dr Bob - The Angel

My nerves are shot; unprotected sex with a woman for possibly 2-3 minutes before using a condom. After realizing what the hell I was doing I used one. I am terrified at this point. At 6 weeks or 45 days my EIA HIV test came back "Non-Reactive."

I know what you're going to say about the "Window" but does this seem positive to you....positive in a good way. I do not sleep around; just made a mistake.

I have cold sores in my mouth, my groin has been sore on both sides and my testies are a little sore too. I know that anxiety can play a role in how I feel also.

Is there a difference between the EIA and a "Rapid Test?" If so, at this point do you think I should take one? Any advice from you would make me feel so much better.

With Love, Respect and Daily Prayers -

Me

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello "Me,"

Your negative EIA HIV test at six weeks is very encouraging, but not yet definitive and conclusive. The vast majority of HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following HIV primary infection.

ELISA, EIA and rapid tests all assay for anti-HIV antibodies and are very accurate. You can take whichever one is convenient for you at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I took PEP way to late
Next
Can Rimming be a risk for HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.