Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2nd Minimal Reactive Test result.
Jun 18, 2010

Due to flu-like symptoms Mid-March I visited an ER. They found no viral, bacterial or other infection but the Doctor suggested I take an HIV test. I said no and left the ER. However, after more night sweats, fevers and other symptoms I decided a few weeks later (Early April) to get tested. I took an Orasure test that came back reactive which prompted the follow up Western Blot test. It came back "minimal reactive" so I had to retest in six weeks. Well, that test has also came back "minimal reactive" as well. Now, I am waiting for the results of my third test. They told me if I get the same results I might have to get a viral load test. First of all what exactly is "minimal reactive"? How does one test come back reactive and the others come back "minimal?" Does it mean I am positive or not? Is it still too early too tell? It is all so confusing and frustrating. Please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Actually I'm not sure what they mean by "minimal reactive" Western Blot test. Western Blot test results are generally reported as follows:

- Negative: no bands - Positive: Reactivity to gp120/160 plus either gp41 or p24. - Indeterminate: presence of any band pattern that does not meet criteria for positive results.

I would have to assume your test was indeterminate. Indeterminate WB tests can be due to:

- The test being taken during the seroconversion reaction - Late-stage HIV/AIDS infection - Infection with O strain or HIV-2 - HIV vaccine recipients - Technical or clerical errors.

If your tests continue to be inconclusive or confusing, I would suggest you have a qualitative HIV PCR DNA test. I've written extensively about HIV testing and indeterminate results in this forum. Check the archives for additional discussion.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
yardwork risk?
Next
hiv related

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.